- Do you want to further your knowledge of key concepts in Biology, Chemistry and Physics?
- Are you interested in developing skills using standard laboratory equipment and exploring the fundamentals that underpin scientific investigation?
- Do you want to understand the structure and working of cells and gain knowledge of how the body stays healthy?
5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Maths and English Language, with a grade 4 in a Science subject.
Is this course for me?
- The Extended Certificate is equivalent to one A Level subject option block; the Diploma is equivalent to two A Level subject option blocks.
- The course covers Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- You want to further your skills and knowledge in Science.
- You are interested in a course that is assessed by both examination and coursework.
- You will enjoy a course with a large practical element and practical assessment.
Where does it lead?
Depending on your other subject choices, Level 3 Applied Science qualifications can support applications to a wide range of Science and non-Science courses in Higher Education. The qualification can also provide a route into a career in the science industry.
What will I learn?
If you choose to study either the Extended Certificate (equivalent to one A Level) or Diploma (equivalent to two A Levels), you will study these four units over the two year course:
- Principles & Applications of Science 1 (Assessed by exam)
- Practical Scientific Procedures & Techniques (Assessed by coursework)
- Scientific Investigation Skills (Assessed externally)
- Human Regulation and Reproduction (Assessed by coursework)
If you choose to study the Diploma, you will study the following four units AS WELL AS those outlined above, totalling eight units over the two year course:
- Laboratory Technique and their Application (Assessed by coursework)
- Principal and Applications of Science 2 (Assessed by exam)
- Investigative Project (Assessed by coursework)
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques (Assessed by coursework)
How will I be assessed?
This qualification is assessed by external examination and internally assessed coursework and assignments.
The Extended Certificate and Diploma in Applied Science are assessed by examination, practical assessment and coursework.
What activities can I get involved in?
The College has lots of exciting enrichment and CV building opportunities including the chance to earn the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, learn a new skill, learn a language, join a club, take up or develop a sport or take on a new challenge. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.